If you purchase certain types of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, water heating systems, or make other energy related improvements to your homes between the dates of January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2013, you might qualify for the credit.
Depending on the type of system or product purchased, it may be possible to qualify for a 25C tax credit of up to $500* on your income tax return. If you take advantage of the Federal Energy Tax Credit, IRS form 5695 will need to be filed with your tax return. Your tax professional can help you determine how the tax credits apply to you.
The following TRANE products are eligible:
- Split system air conditioning – that meet 25C requirements of 16 SEER/13 EER (both efficiency levels must be met to qualify for the tax credit)
- Split system heat pump – that meet 25C requirements of 15 SEER/12.5 EER/8.5 HSPF (all three efficiency levels must be met to qualify for the tax credit)
- Gas furnace – that meet 25C requirements of 95% AFUE
- Advanced main air circulating fan – gas furnace or packaged system with an advanced circulating fan that utilizes no more than 2% of furnace total energy use per 25c requirements.
- Packaged air conditioning, heat pump or dual fuel products – that meet 25C requirements of 14 SEER, 12 EER, 8 HSPF
- Geothermal Systems-Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008 (H.R. 1424). H.R. 1424 offers a onetime tax credit of 30% of the total investment for systems that meet or exceed Energy Star requirements and be installed after December 31, 2007.